WAY TO TRAVEL
DOWNLOAD THIS TOUR
Venezuela is a very diverse country and, due to its geographical position, it is an important biodiversity hub, with many contrasts and a pleasant tropical climate. It is located in the north of South America near the equator. Its population is young and friendly, speaks Spanish and is Catholic.
In its geographical diversity and peculiar landscapes and climate, we will find three very relevant and authentic destinations.
- To the west of the country we run into the Andean region, here we’ll find the main mountain state in the country: Mérida. It features a cable car to access the high mountains and two national parks located in the mountains that shield the city. Its maximum elevation is the Pico Bolívar with 4984 m.s.n.m. It is located within the Sierra Nevada National Park where the highest elevations in the country are also located.
- To the south of Venezuela is the Guayanese shield, which is the oldest natural formation on the planet with very particular mountains in the shape of plateaus called Tepuyes. The vast majority of the tepuis are within the Canaima National Park. One of the tepuis is the Auyantepui, which at an altitude of 2,535 meters above sea level and an area of 705 square km makes it the largest and also most imposing Tepuy of all. The longest waterfall in the world falls from its summit; Angel Falls at 3,212 feet (979 meters)
- In the center of the country on the continental shelf is the Caribbean and its paradisiacal beaches with crystal clear waters and pleasant temperatures, an ideal climate and beautiful landscapes that complement a great adventure with incredible tropical beaches.
Day by Day
Arrival at Simón Bolívar International Airport. Reception and air connection to Merida. Flight time 1 hour. Then, transfer from the airport to the city of Merida. Approximate time 1.30h
Dinner and breakfast included.
Breakfast at the inn and transfer by car for approximately 3 hours to the town of Los Nevados, located within the Sierra Nevada National Park and at an altitude of 2.700 meters above sea level. Here we begin with acclimatization. After lunch, we will do a short walk through some of the town’s villages to observe and interact with its inhabitants and observe their culture and traditions up close.
After the hike we prepare the equipment, review the itinerary and have the meeting prior to the ascent, its technical considerations and a review of rappelling techniques.
We sleep at the inn.
Lunch and dinner included.
The ascent begins. After a full breakfast at the inn, we begin a 6-hour hike with a 1,200-meter ascent of elevation gain through Andean moors until we reach the top of the Emboque at 3,800 meters above sea level. Then we descend 400 meters to the “Valle del Indio” where we will set up our first camp.
It is possible to enjoy the first day with a “Banya” sauna in our base camp. It will be warm and waiting for you.
Breakfast – lunch – dinner.
Second day of ascent. We begin after breakfast with a 5-hour walk with 1.000 meters of elevation gain. It is a strong day and a considerable amount of inclination. The vegetation changes and we will walk through high mountain terrain to a small camp located at 4.520 meters above sea level. High camp of Pico Bolívar. Excellent place with a beautiful view of the Andean mountains.
We begin our ascent to the highest mountain in Venezuela quite early. It is a climb on mixed terrain or only rocks (depending on the time of year) with a difficulty, in some steps, of V grade 5.9. Until reaching the summit where the Bust of the Liberator Simón Bolívar is. We will rappel 200 meters down vertical walls to the base of the wall and then descend through moraine and rocky terrain to the camp.
We will pick-up our equipment and after a light lunch we will begin the 1-hour ascent to the Pico Espejo station 4780 m.s.n.m. of the Merida cable car system. From there we will descend in a cabin to the city. There are 5 stations and 12.5 km long (it is the highest and longest cable car in the world) The descent is fast and in less than an hour we descend from the high mountains to the center of the city of Merida.
Breakfast and lunch included.
After breakfast we will visit the city of Merida and its main market where we can learn a little more about the gastronomy and ceramics of the Venezuelan Andes. Ideal day to buy souvenirs.
After lunch we will head to the airport to board a flight to Simón Bolívar International Airport. We will sleep in La Guaira near the airport.
Breakfast and lunch included.
After breakfast we will take an air connection from the Simón Bolívar International Airport to the Canaima National Park, an hour and a half flight. Upon arrival we will be greeted with a reception and transfer to the hotel where a welcome cocktail will be waiting for us.
After lunch we board a boat through the Canaima Lagoon and then a short walk to the El Sapo waterfall, alternatively a 1 section of Paddle in the Lagoon is also possible. (If weather conditions allow).
Breakfast – lunch – dinner included.
After breakfast, we will sail enjoying spectacular views of the tepuis and the Devil’s Canyon along the Carrao and Churún rivers until we reach the foot of Angel Falls.
After a light lunch we will walk through the dense jungle to the Laime viewpoint and then, depending on the weather, bathe in the natural pond of the highest waterfall in the world. We will sleep in hammocks with the incredible view of Angel Falls in front of us.
Breakfast – lunch and dinner included.
After breakfast, we’ll be able to enjoy the morning in front of Angel Falls, we can bathe in the Churum river and after lunch we will head down the river by boat to the Canaima lagoon. We spend the night at the camp.
Breakfast – lunch and dinner included.
After breakfast we’ll have free time where you can enjoy the natural benefits offered by the Canaima National Park. There are several activities that can be done, such as bicycling, walking, and paddle. Then we will take a flight to Simón Bolívar International Airport.
In Maiquetia, we will have a 2-hour transfer along a road that runs along the coast to the town of Caruao. On the way you can enjoy a beautiful view of the Caribbean. At the end of the day we will arrive at a beautiful Beach-Lodge where you can enjoy a well-deserved rest.
Rest day at the Beach-Lodge with a walk to some natural pools or a private beach. You’ll be able to enjoy included activities such as Kayak and Body Board, as well as extras like Massages, Yoga, etc. Then we will have our closing dinner.
Early in the morning we will head back to the airport in a 2-hour drive.
- Bilingual local TC (English – Spanish).
- Domestic air tickets during the program.
- Inns and hotels during the program (double or matrimonial rooms).
- Meals during the program (with exceptions noted in the itinerary).
- Pack mules (Pico Bolívar).
- Local high mountain guide(s) AVIGM.
- Camping equipment (dining tent, sleeping tent for 2 people, sauna tent).
- Banya (outdoor steam sauna service on the first day of camping at Pico Bolívar).
- Essential oils and bouquet (venik) of eucalyptus.
- Group climbing equipment (ropes, carabiner, straps).
- Ground transfers from and to the airport and during the program.
- Extra equipment rental costs $15 per day (helmet, harness, ice axes, crampons).